Folks in and around the greater Lawrenceville, Norcross area understand the benefits of tile flooring. It’s a very popular flooring choice, and that’s why we have a huge selection of tile to choose from at Floor Coverings International Lawrenceville. One of our favorite options is slate tile.
What is slate?
Slate has an interesting lineage. It is actually a metamorphic rock that is formed from other shale-type sedimentary rock due to a combination of pressure, heat, and time. The way in which slate is formed results in a particularly hard stone that works well for many applications including chalkboards, roof tile, and flooring tiles.
Slate is usually gray in color, but comes in shades of gray ranging from light gray to much darker charcoal colors. Slate may also exhibit natural color variations that might include green, orange, brown, and even purple hues.
Why is slate a good flooring choice?
- Durability: Like other examples of ceramic and natural stone tile, slate is tough. Few other flooring options will match its durability. Whether you install it in a high-traffic area or you have kids or pets that will be rough on your floor, slate can handle it.
- Moisture Resistance: Slate is also highly resistant to moisture, which makes it a great flooring choice for kitchens, bathrooms, and mudrooms.
- Style & Versatility: Slate is one of those unique flooring materials that looks elegant, sophisticated, and refined, but can also be incorporated very nicely into a more rustic look. It is a smart flooring option for almost any room, and it will be a welcome complement to almost any décor.
- Value: Slate tile flooring requires some up front investment, but it is a highly desirable type of flooring that retains its value well. Should you ever decide to move out of your home, your slate flooring will help bolster your home’s market value.
- Low Maintenance: Slate is a set-it-and-forget it type of flooring. Once it’s installed it should require very little maintenance to stay looking its best.
- Non-Allergenic: Slate does not give off any scents or chemicals that might irritate those who are sensitive to allergens. It is also non-porous. It won’t trap dust, dirt, and other irritants, but instead leaves them to clump together on the surface for easy cleaning.
Slate is truly a premier flooring option and one that we take great pride in providing at Floor Coverings International Lawrenceville. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you are considering installing slate in your home or office. Our flooring experts are here to make sure you get the right flooring at the right price!